Car accidents cause a large proportion of personal injuries. The speeds and forces involved also make them some of the most serious. That’s why it’s vitally important, after a car accident, that you know exactly what to do. Fortunately, that’s what this guide is all about. Don’t worry; none of these steps are beyond you, even if you were badly injured. Let’s take a look at how you can reclaim control of your life. So, what to do after a car accident injury? Start with our first step, taking stock:
What to Do After a Car Accident Injury: Assess the Situation
First things first, you have to assess where you stand and where you’d like to be. The damage from a personal injury can be severe and long-lasting—physically, mentally and financially. But these effects multiply if you don’t figure out exactly what’s wrong first. After an accident, make a list of everything that’s gone wrong, and tackle everything on your list step by step. Consider the following factors:
- Do you have major or minor injuries? Whatever the issue, see a doctor, even if you think you don’t need to. This can come in handy later on when you try and prove your case.
- Was the accident the fault of the other party? If so, you can think about claiming compensation.
- Was the accident particularly traumatic? You may benefit from finding somebody to talk to about it. Therapy can be incredibly helpful, if you need it.
- Are you financially able to recover? Try to assess how long you’ll be off work. You may need to rely on the help of others in the meantime.
Once you’ve taken stock, get started on the most important step: finding medical advice.
Get Medical Advice
After a car accident, you need to get medical advice for two key reasons. First of all, there might be a problem you’re not aware of. This is especially the case for ‘minor’ injuries like whiplash. You may not even notice that you have whiplash straight after an accident. It takes a number of days for it to become truly painful (and it is very painful, contrary to what many people believe).
That’s why you should see a specialist car accident physician. A car accident physician is a family doctor who has particular experience searching for the results of personal injuries. That includes conditions like whiplash, which can easily go unnoticed at first. The second reason why you should seek medical advice is because it’s essential to have your injuries noted and treated as soon as possible. That’s because:
- The more complete and thorough your doctor’s examination, the more conditions they will spot, and the more you will be able to claim
- The longer you wait to see a doctor, the more likely it is that an insurance company will claim your injuries to be fictitious
So see a doctor as soon as possible, to avoid any complications. This applies whether or not the accident was serious or minor. It also applies whether or not you have any visible or obvious problems after the crash.
What to Do After a Car Accident Injury: Claim, Claim, Claim
The list of what to do after a car accident injury gets longer from here on out. In the same way that you should see a doctor as soon as possible, you should start your claim as soon as possible. That’s because there’s something called the Statute of limitations. Put simply, there are various laws, rules and regulations which mean that you can’t take somebody to civil or criminal court after a set period of time. This set period of time varies in length between one and six years for a personal injury (depending on your state).
If you try to bring your claim once the statute of limitations is passed, you won’t succeed. It doesn’t matter how bad the injury was. It doesn’t matter how much you stand to gain in compensation. If you wait even one day too long, your case will be automatically thrown out. That’s why it’s vital that you get started as soon as possible.
At this point, it might sound like you have a lot on your plate. But with a little help from 719-PAIN, you can get everything started today—all at once.
What is 719-PAIN?
If you’re still wondering what to do after a car accident injury, it’s time to call 719-PAIN. 719-PAIN is a telephone service solely for the people of Colorado Springs: we help you find physicians, chiropractors and car accident attorneys in just one call. We’ve scoured the local area to find experts in each field, so that you don’t have to. So why waste your time searching online and contacting each of these places yourself, when we can do the job for you? Here’s how it works.
- You give us just one phone call, at our 719-PAIN hotline.
- Speak to one of our trained advisors.
- Our advisor will ask you a few basic questions. They’ll ask what happened, when and why. They’ll also ask what you’re interested in doing (e.g. starting a claim).
- We can then forward you to a relevant expert.
We don’t make money for making any particular recommendation. Nor do we charge you for the service. We’ve looked around Colorado Springs to try and find the very best attorneys and physicians, just for you. Don’t rely on the first attorney or physician you find. And don’t waste your time scouring the internet, checking reviews and arranging meeting after meeting. Go through 719-PAIN instead, where everything is done for you.